Madras. Fort St George & Beach.
Photographer: Nicholas Bros
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the beach at Fort St George near Madras was taken by Nicholas Bros in the 1860s. The British East India Company bought the site in 1839 as the second permanent Company trading post. Fort St George was later built by the Company in the 1640s marking one of the first bastions of British power in India and the beginning of Madras, today known as Chennai, as a modern city. Within the Fort were impressive colonial mansions including the house where the British campaigner Robert Clive lived, today used as government offices.