Musjid of Nuttur Auleah [sic, for Tomb of Nathar Shah, Tiruchchirappalli]
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the Musjid of Nathar Shah at Tiruchirapalli, Tamilnadu, is part of a collection entitled 'Photographic Views in Trichinopoly ' (Madras, 1858) and was taken by Linnaeus Tripe in 1858. Tiruchirapalli, an important British cantonment in the 19th century, was governed in the earlier periods, successively by the Pandyas, Cholas, the Vijayanagara dynasty and the Nawab of Arcot. The town, situated on the banks of river Kaveri, is dominated by a massive granite rock rising steeply, more than 83 metres housing a Fort. The Mosque of Nathar Shah, containing the tomb of tsaint Sultan Saiyad Babayya Nathar Shah is the most important Muslim monument in Tiruchchirapalli. It also contains the tombs of the Nawab of Arcot, Muhammad Ali and his rival, Chanda Sahib.