Mihrab on the south side of the chamber beneath the great dome of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri 1003584
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a mihrab in the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605); the Jami Masjid was completed in 1572. The mosque was dedicated to Shaikh Salim Chisti, whose khanqah was nearby. There are three mihrabs in each of the seven bays of the mosque. This is a view of the mihrab on the south side of the central area of the sanctuary which is covered by a dome. The mihrabs are decorated with white marble inlaid into the red stone, arranged in geometric patterns. All the buildings in at Fatehpur Sikri are built of locally quarried red sandstone, known as Sikri sandstone.