Main façade of the Jami Masjid, Jaunpur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid in Jaunpur,Uttar Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India, taken by Joseph Beglar in the 1870s. This mosque was founded by Sultan Mahmud (r.1440-1457) but was enlarged and completed by Sultan Husain Sharqi (r.1458-79) in 1478. It is the largest of the Jaunpur mosques with many features in common with the Atala Mosque of 1408 in the same city; such as the large pylon in the centre of the sanctuary facade with sloping sides. The Jami Masjid is raised on a high platform which is reached from three entrance gateways with steep flights of steps. This is a view of the main facade of the sanctuary with the large, central pylon and dome of the prayer hall partly visible behind. On either side of the main pylon are arcaded wings to the side aisles which screen the interior transepts.