Main façade of the Lal Darwaza Mosque, Jaunpur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Main façade of the Lal Darwaza Mosque in Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Joseph Beglar in the 1870s. The Lal Darwaza Mosque, or Red Door Mosque is the smallest of the Jaunpur mosques, built in c.1450. It was part of a palace complex planned by Bibi Raja, the Queen of Mahmud Shah (r.1436-58). The plan derives from the Atala mosque of 1408, albeit on a reduced scale, with a similar tall pylon infront of the dome in the centre of the facade of the main sanctuary. However, the Lal Darwaza differs from its prototype in one significant respect; the screened upper compartment of the zenana is placed in a central position adjoining the nave instead of at the far end of the transepts. This is an oblique view from the south-east looking towards the iwan, with the dome of the prayer hall behind.