Photograph of an unidentified tomb at Irich in the Jhansi District, Uttar Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer sometime in the 1880s or 90s. The tombs in this area are described by Joseph David Beglar in his 'Report of a tour in Bundelkhand and Malwa, 1871-72; and in the Central Provinces, 1873-74, 'The present masjid [mosque] has no gateway proper so-called and the tombs that stand near it must have existed prior to the masjid itself. It is true the tombs are not dated, but as other tombs at Irich are traditionally ascribed to Syads [Sayyids], about 400 years ago, and as these appear from their style older than those near the masjid which have domes on low necks, they cannot be much older than 300 years; and the masjid, which evidently from its position was built after the tombs must be still later. It is, however, possible that an older masjid was repaired and the enormous caps then added to the domes. There are also other tombs, of which two, supported on twelve Hindu pillars each, form prominent objects in approaching the city.' (Archaeological Survey of India, vol. VII, Calcutta, 1878) This tomb comprises a domed square with wide arched openings in three of the four sides. To the fourth side is a blind recession indicating the direction of Mecca.