Miscellaneous sculpture pieces from the upper monastery, Nutta, Peshawar District
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken in 1883, attributed to Henry Hardy Cole (probably incorrectly), and showing a group of miscellaneous sculpture pieces from the upper monastery at Nutta, in Peshawar District. The objects, including Buddha and Bodhisattva images, sculpture panels and friezes, are shown boxed for transportation and are captioned and dated in the negative. From the first and second centuries AD onwards, Peshawar district, in northern Pakistan, became famous for it's sculptural traditions. Known as Gandhara, it was ruled by a dynasty of Chinese origin called the Kushans. They were Buddhists and under their rule, the religion, and the arts associated with it were allowed to flourish. The reign of the Kushan king Kanishka, is particularly well known for its artistic achievements and it was during his reign, from 78 AD, that we find the first examples of the Graeco-Roman influenced Gandharan style of sculpture. The classical influence on these sculptures can be seen, in the figures draped clothing, their curly hair and the naturalistic modelling of their bodies.