Marble pavilion in the Daulat Bagh, Ajmer. 10031531
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a marble pavilion in the Daulat Bagh, Ajmer, taken in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The attribution of this photograph to H.H.Cole is probably incorrect. Due to its strategic location the city of Ajmer went through many dynastic changes from Mewar to Malwa to the Mughals and finally to the British. The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58) laid out the Daulat Bagh, or 'gardens of splendour', which stretch from the bund of the lake in the direction of the city. Shah Jahan also built marble pavilions in the Daulat Bagh, along the bund of the Anar Sagar Lake. This is a view of one of the pavilions near the lake.