Minor unnamed caves, Khandgiri Hill or Udayagiri
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the modern Jain temple on the summit of Khandgiri Hill, taken by Alexander E.Caddy in 1895, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections.
In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there are some Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty in the 1st century BC. The caves generally have one or more plain cells with a flat ceiling. Some are double storeyed with pillared verandas. The facades of the larger caves are profusely decorated with sculptures.