Merchant Street, Rangoon 10999
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Merchant Street, Rangoon (Yangon), taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection.
Rangoon, an important port, was taken over by the British after the Second Anglo-Burmese War of 1852, and it was then rebuilt by military engineers on a long, east-west geometric grid plan. Merchant Street is the most southerly of the streets dating from this time and is so named because it was the main business thoroughfare. This is a view looking west along the street, with the Sule Pagoda visible at the extreme right, and the spire of Holy Trinity Church (completed 1865) in the distance to the left. The tower of the Roman Catholic Cathedral (completed 1859) on the corner of Fytche Square is in the middle. Phayre Street (now Pansodan Lan) leads off to the right just beyond the large flat-roofed white building and 38th Street is in the right foreground. This print also appears in volume II of H.R. Spearman's 'The British Burma Gazetteer' (2 vols, Rangoon, 1879-80), p.567.