Mandalay. S.P.G. Mission School, built by the king, under the superintendence of the Revd. J.E. Marks. Four of the King's sons, are in the foreground under a canopy of golden umbrellas.
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken by J. Jackson in 1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. General view of the mission school in Mandalay run by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. Reverend James Ebenezer Marks was missionary for the Society. Previously the headmaster of St. John’s College, Rangoon (Yangon), Reverend Marks was invited to Mandalay by King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) in 1869; the school dates from this period and was located outside the city walls to the west. It is a wood, bamboo and thatch building raised above the ground on posts using the pile construction technique of Burmese vernacular architecture. Several of the royal princes attended it, and are seen here standing with attendants beneath the tree in front of the building, shaded by golden umbrellas (insignia of royalty). In addition to the school, the king also built a church and clergy house for the Society.