Mandalay. ''Zingyan'' or turreted covered way, for Buddhist priests, to walk in rainy weather. Mandalay Hill, and Crown prince's Shrine, in the background
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a Buddhist monastery or kyaung at Mandalay, with Mandalay Hill in the background, taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. Monasteries were usually built with a wide verandah or walkway known as a zingyan surrounding a raised central hall. In this view, the walkway has been extended and covered with tiered roofs and two tall pyat-that spires, heavily ornamented with decorative wood carvings. Mandalay was founded in 1857 by Mindon Min of the Konbaung dynasty, Burma’s penultimate king (ruled 1853-78), as a new royal capital to replace the former capital at Amarapura which was believed to have become inauspicious. As a consequence of royal patronage religious architecture was found throughout Mandalay, and a number of monasteries, pagodas and stupas were clustered around the base of the hill to the north-east of the city. In the distance a covered stairway ascends the hillside which was the site of various shrines and temples.