Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, with a view of wooden monastery buildings at Mandalay, with Mandalay Hill in the distance, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. A covered stairway leading to small temples ascends the hillside from the left, and a shrine is visible on the summit. The city reputedly derived its name from the hill which was a sacred site for centuries. A number of monasteries and pagodas were built at the base of Mandalay Hill during the second half of the 19th century, following the foundation of the royal city of Mandalay in 1857 when King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) shifted his capital here from Amarapura. Known as ‘zayat’, the buildings in the image are rectangular halls with two-tier roofs, enclosed by a white fence. The gables, ridges and eaves are traditionally decorated with flamboyant woodcarvings.