Moulmein. Cantonment and Native Infantry Barracks, with Martaban and Zingyike Hills in the background
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Moulmein (Mawlamyaing), taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. This is a view looking towards the cantonment and barracks, partially concealed by trees, with the River Salween and the Martaban hills beyond. Moulmein lies at the mouth of the Salween (Thanlwin) where it meets the Gulf of Mottama (Martaban) and the confluence of four smaller rivers on the coast of south-east Burma. The town, the capital of the Mon state and the fourth largest in Burma, is set in beautiful natural scenery of tropical vegetation, low ranges of hills and limestone outcrops rising from the surrounding plains. During the 19th century it developed as a colonial town and seaport, a centre of the teak trade. It was the head-quarters of Amherst District and the administrative capital of British Burma between 1827 and 1852. The cantonment was established during this period in the north of the town.