Moulmein. Eastern suburbs, with limestone hills rising abruptly from the plains
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the eastern suburbs of Moulmein (Mawlamyaing), taken by J. Jackson in c.1868. Moulmein lies at the mouth of the Salween (Thanlwin) River where it meets the Gulf of Mottama (Martaban), and the confluence of four smaller rivers on the coast of south-east Burma. During the 19th century it developed as a colonial town and seaport. It was the head-quarters of Amherst District and the administrative capital of British Burma between 1827 and 1852 and became a centre for the export of teak and rice. The town, the capital of the Mon state and the fourth largest in Burma, is set in beautiful natural scenery of tropical vegetation, low ranges of hills and limestone outcrops rising from the surrounding plains. This is a general view of the outlying houses of the town, with the plain beyond and limestone outcrops on the horizon. In the foreground washing is laid out on the ground to dry.