Mayo College, Ajmere
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Mayo College at Ajmer in Rajasthan, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in the 1880s, from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1896'. Mayo College was founded in 1878 and opened by the Marquis of Dufferin in 1885. It was established at the suggestion of Lord Mayo (1882-1872), Viceroy of India between 1868 and 1872, who promoted the development of education for Indians. He created the college to provide an English-style boarding school education for the sons and male relatives of the ruling princes of Rajputana. Known as the “Indian Eton”, it was pre-eminent among a number founded to educate young Indian princes. This is a view of the main façade of the central college building, which stands in a large park to the south-east of the city. It was built in white marble from a “Indo-Saracenic” design commissioned in 1875 from the British colonial architect Major Charles Mant (1839-1881), who had previously completed another school at Kolhapur (1873) in the same style. In front is a memorial statue of Lord Mayo.