Madura. [Entrance to the] Old Palace.
Photographer: Wiele and Klein
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Tirumalai Nayaka Palace, Madurai probably taken by Wiele and Klein in the 1890s. The photograph is from an album containing views of various locations in India, formerly in the collection of Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome, (1850-1916), who was Commander in Chief of India between 1902 and 1909.
The Tirumalai Nayaka Palace was built in 1636 by the most illustrious of the Nayak rulers, Tirumala (1623-55) but dismantled between 1662 and 1682 by Tirumala’s grandson in the transfer of the capital to Trichinopoly. The surviving remains convey the grandeur of the Nayaka. The building was partially restored in the 19th century by Lord Napier, governor of Madras. The palace, with some Islamic influences, was built around a large courtyard surrounded by massive circular pillars. The columns are over 12.2 metres (40 feet) high, enriched with foliated brick arches and finely chased chunam.