Madura [sic. Should read: View of the carved horse pillars in the Hall of a Thousand Pillars, Srirangam].
Photographer: Wiele and Klein
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of temple at Srirangam probably taken by Wiele & Klein in the 1890s. The photograph is from an album containing views of various locations in India, formerly in the collection of Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome, (1850-1916), who was Commander in Chief of India between 1902 and 1909.
This view shows part of the Ranganatha Temple, a sacred Vaishnava complex situated on the holy island of Srirangam in the Kaveri River. The temple was commenced in the Chola period but most of the works were carried out from the 13th to the 17th century under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple covers an area of 63 hectares divided into 7 concentric enclosures entered through gateways or gopuras. The row of pillars richly carved in the form of rearing horses is situated on the façade of the Sheshagirirayar mandapa and belongs to the 16th century.