Mandalay. The Palace, West Front
Photographer: Klier, Philip Adolphe (c.1845-1911)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the west front of the palace at Mandalay, probably taken by Philip Adolphe Klier in the 1890s. Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) and became Burma’s last great royal capital. The city was built as a walled palace-fortress in the form of a perfect square surrounded by a moat. The royal palace or Nandaw was one of the first buildings to be constructed and reused many parts of the teak buildings from the old royal capital of Amarapura. This is a general view looking towards the palace buildings, with field guns lined up in front of the wall. By the time this photograph was taken, Mandalay had been annexed by the British Empire, the fortified palace complex renamed Fort Dufferin, and the Burmese monarchy sent into exile. During the Second World War this last great palace of the Burmese within the fort was destroyed by fire.