Mandalay. The Club
Photographer: Klier, Philip Adolphe (c.1845-1911)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Royal Palace at Mandalay, Burma (Myanmar), taken by Philip Adolphe Klier in the 1890s. Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) and became Burma’s last great royal capital. The Royal Palace or Nandaw was one of the first buildings to be constructed and reused many parts of the teak buildings from the old royal capital of Amarapura. This is a view looking towards the entrance of the Palace of the Chief Queen, containing the Lily Throne. After the British occupation of Mandalay in 1885, this part of the palace was used as the premises of the Upper Burma Club.