Photograph from an album of 40 albumen prints by Edmund David Lyon. View looking towards the massive arcade and entrance of Tirumala Nayaka's palace in Madurai. Only a few structures survive of this 17th century palace which was later dismantled by Chokkanatha, the grandson of Tirumala. What remained was restored by the Governor of Madras, Lord Napier, in the 18th century. Lyon wrote in his 'Notes to Accompany a Series of Photographs Prepared to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' (Marion & Co., London, 1870), edited by James Fergusson: 'No one on entering by the east door...could fail to be struck with admiration and astonishment at the scene presented to him by the first sight of the quadrangle, which forms the centre of the present enclosure. It is 244 feet long from east to west, and 142 feet from north to south. It is completely surrounded by arcades, the centre being formerly occupied by a tank, which is now covered over. The view shows that portion of the building immediately facing as you enter the court; it is the facade of the Swerga Vilasam, [Swarga Vilasa] or celestial pavilion, now occupied by the High Court, the entrance to which may be seen in the view. The steps leading up to the hall were formerly flanked by two equestrian statues of excellent workmanship, one of which, in its dilapidated state, now lies near the entrance.'