Photograph from an album of 40 albumen prints by Edmund David Lyon. Only a few structures such as the Swarga Vilasa survive of the 17th century palace at Madurai in Tamil Nadu, which was built by Tirumala Nayaka (reigned 1623-59). It was later dismantled by Chokkanatha, his grandson, who used it to construct a palace in Tiruchirapalli. What remained was restored by the Governor of Madras, Lord Napier, in the 18th century. Lyon wrote in his 'Notes to Accompany a Series of Photographs Prepared to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' (Marion & Co., London, 1870), edited by James Fergusson, that this photograph 'shows the south-east angle of the Arcade which surrounds the quadrangle, the low wall in the foreground being that of the tank; the pillars of the inner or elevated cloisters within may also be seen. The trees are infested with green parrots in immense numbers, whose shrill screams can hardly be supposed to contribute much to the deliberations of the Court'.