Monument for the heroes of the Punjaub, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the Gwalior Monument on the riverfront at Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. This monument was to honour the Company forces who died in the battles of Maharajpore and Panniar in 1843, by which the British East India Company gained control over Gwalior. It is a brick structure faced with Jaipur marble and crowned by a metal dome.