Mission school and church near Hooghly
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of a mission school and church at Hooghly, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Hooghly was the first English settlement in Bengal and site of the first East India Company factory, established in 1651. Later, in 1690, Job Charnock succeeded in securing a better site for the factory at Calcutta and the larger settlement grew into the city and eventually became the Capital of British India. Hooghly continued as an English settlement and contained barracks for troops, to supplement those at Fort William and Barrackpore. Hooghly is also close to Chinsura, originally a Dutch settlement, until it was captured by the British in 1795.