Military Department Office, Simla
Photographer: Craddock, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph by James Craddock taken in the 1870s, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. View of the Military Department Office at Simla (now the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh). The hill-station developed as a popular resort with the British residents of India in the 1820s and later became the summer capital when the Governor-General began to take his council with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta 1300 miles away. Simla was known as the 'English Convalescent Station' as its salubrious climate was conducive to good health and the Military Sanatoria at Kasauli, Sanawar and Sabathu were built nearby.