Madras Club, 1901-02 752460
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Madras Club, at Madras (Chennai), Tamil Nadu, from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of Indian views, taken in c.1901-02. The club was founded in 1831 and was privately built with the support of the Governor Stephen Lushington. It became one of two favourite resorts of Madras society, the other being the Adyar Club. Once known as the ‘Ace of Clubs’, the Madras Club was renowned as the finest in India and hosted the Prince of Wales on his visit of 1875. Originally a typical Madras garden house set in a compound, additions were gradually made including a pedimented classical façade added to the north face in 1865. This is a view looking towards the central portico, with club servants gathered in front of the porte-cochère beneath.