Mowbray Road, Adyar, Madras, 1902
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Mowbray Road, at Madras (Chennai), Tamil Nadu, from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of Indian views, taken in c.1902. Mowbray Road is a long avenue lined with banyan trees in southern Madras near the Adyar river. Now called TTK Road, it was formerly named for the house to which it originally led, Moubray’s Cupola. This was the first of the city’s famous and beautiful garden houses, built by Mr George Moubray on the banks of the Adyar in the 1780s. The house was a spacious colonial bungalow set in 105 acres of parkland and later became the Adyar Club. Moubray arrived in Madras in 1771 and was the first Accountant of Fort St. George, later becoming Accountant General and a member of the first Board of Revenue in 1785.