Mosque of Aurengzebe, Benares.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Smaller Aurangzeb Mosque in Varanasi from the 'Earl of Jersey Collection' was taken by an unkown photographer in the 1880s. The mosque, was built by Aurangzeb (r.1658-1707), the ruler of the Mughal Empire. The mosque is on the site of an earlier Vishnu temple known as Bindu Madhav, this is probably why the mosque is known locally as Madho Rai Ki Masjid. Parts from the temple were used in the construction of the mosque. The minarets (seen in this view), were restored by James Prinsep in the 19th century and further shortened before they were finally pulled down by the government due to their instability.