Photograph of the tombs of the Talpur Mirs at Hyderabad in the Sindh province of Pakistan, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1890s. Sindh province takes its name from the Sindhu river which flows through it, frequently flooding its banks, and known to the West as the mighty Indus. Strategically located with the Arabian Sea bordering its south, and encompassing the Indus delta, Sindh has a long history of settlement, and the Talpur Mirs, originally from Baluchistan, were the last of the dynasties which ruled Sindh. Reigning from 1782-1843, their capital was Hyderabad. The city had been chosen as the capital of the Kalhora rulers of Sindh in the 1760s. When they were displaced by the Baluchi Talpurs in 1782, Hyderabad remained the capital of Sindh. The Talpurs were defeated by the British in 1843, and the capital of Sindh was shifted to Karachi. The tombs of both the Kalhoras as well as the Talpurs lie on a ridge north of the old city of Hyderabad, although the latter's are better preserved. An oblong wagon vault is used for the smaller tombs and different levels are defined by low parapets. This photograph is from an album of 91 prints apparently compiled by P. J. Corbett, a PWD engineer involved in irrigation work at the famine relief camp at Shetpal Tank in 1897, and in canal construction in Sindh in the early 1900s.