Marble temple of Javheri Ratnachand Javherachand [Satrunjaya].
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. The temple of Javheri Ratnachand was erected in 1803. The columns of the outer square have octagonal shafts and support ornamental marble arches and the brackets have struts inclined outwards carved with female figures. The flat roof shrine is covered by a spire.