Merchant Street, Rangoon 4301524
Photographer: Watts and Skeen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, with a view looking along Merchant Street in central Rangoon (Yangon), taken by the studio of Watts and Skeen during the 1890s. After the second Anglo-Burmese war in 1852, resulting in the conquest of Lower Burma, the city of Rangoon passed into British hands along with the province of Pegu (Bago). It was rebuilt on a long east-west geometric grid plan by British military engineers. Merchant Street is the most southerly of the wide, tree-lined avenues dating from this time and is so named because it was the main business thoroughfare. The building in the left foreground is Rangoon Medical Hall.