Mukbara of Bibi Shri Ladadi Bibi Saheb, mother of His late Highness Bahadurkhanji [Junagadh]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of a tomb at Junagadh, Gujarat, probably taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s. Junagadh was ruled by the Muslim Babi dynasty, established in c.1735 by Sher Khan Babi. Their tombs, known as maqbaras, are situated in enclosures within the city walls in two groups dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. They are some of the most extraordinary and fantastical buildings in Gujarat. The mausoleum in this view has cusped arches below a cornice crowned with clusters of onion domes and small minarets, and is covered with a profusion of carved ornamentation. The caption of the photograph identifies it as that of Bibi Shri Ladadi Bibi Saheb, the mother of the Nawab Bahadur Khanji II (ruled 1882-1892). Another print of the same image identifies the tomb as that of the Nawab Hamid Khanji II (ruled 1840-1851).