Mirabai Temple in Chittore Fort. [Incorrectly captioned for: Kumbha Shyama Temple.]
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kumbha Shyama Temple at Chittaurgarh in Rajasthan, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1890s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views in Meywar'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. The Fort of Chitorgarh is situated on a narrow ridge rising abruptly 150m metres above the plain and strengthned by impressive ramparts. It is approached by a winding road to the west defended by seven imposing gateways. The fort was the centre of the Rajput power in Western India, under the headquarters of the state of Mewar. During the 16th century it was twice sacked and in 1567, when the fort was sacked for the final time by the Mughal Emperor Akbar, Udaipur was chosen as the new capital of the Mewar state and Chittaurgarh was abandoned abandoned as the Rajput capital that was moved to Udaipur. Inside the fort there are the ruined Palace of Rana Kumbha, padmini's Palace as well many Jain and Hindu temples, two commemorative towers, tanks and wells. The Kumbha Shyama Temple was originally built in the eighth century during the Pratihara period and later enlarged in the 15th century. It consists of a sanctuary with a high basement, preceded by a mandapa or hall. The wall niches displaying images of the gods and goddesses, the columns and the ceiling panels are part of the original features while the mandapa with the pyramidal roof and the clustered tower are later additions.