Mandalay, from the Mount
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
This view of Mandalay is taken from Mandalay Hill by Bourne & Shepherd in the 1870's. The 236m-high hill lies to the north of the city and gives a panorama of the surrounding plains. Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon Min, and the court was transferred to the new city from nearby Amarapura. Mandalay was Burma’s last great royal capital and was known as 'the golden city.' The city is dominated by a huge walled palace fortress in the shape of a perfect square surrounded by a moat. The north moat cuts across the foreground of this image, and beyond the wall lies the palace grounds. The Irrawaddy River is visible in the distance.