Mandapa of the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the mandapa of the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. The 16th century Pattabhirama Temple complex, dedicated to Rama, is situated on the outskirts of Vijayanagara. It is enclosed by a high rectangular wall entered through pyramidal gateways with diminishing storeys. The temple consists of a shrine with a vestibule and two pillared halls, all set within a very large rectangular court. This view shows one of the pillared mandapa. The columns are made of clusters of colonnettes and are carved with Vaishnava reliefs. The two central outer piers have rearing yalis, mythical animals.