Mosque of Muhammad Ghaus Gwaliari, Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Mosque of Muhammad Ghaus Gwaliari, at Ahmadabad in Gujarat taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque was built in c.1565 by the saint Shaikh Muhammad Ghauthu'l Alam of Gwalior. The interior is divided into squares by two rows of pillars connected by arches with carved pendentives, which support the almost flat domes. The minaret at the north end of the facade is octagonal above the roof level and divided by five small balconies with recesses between. The other minaret, at the south end of the facade, is octagonal and terminates one storey above roof level.