Mandapa, vimanas and stambha of the Kailasanatha Temple, Taramangalam
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kailasanatha Temple at Taramangalam in Tamil Nadu, taken by a photographer of the Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple bears inscriptions from the Hoysala, Pandya and Vijayanagar periods. Part of the temple existed as early as 1260 but the majority was built in the first half of the 17th century. This view looks across a court towards the verandah of a mandapa or hall, with a stambha or pillar in the foreground and the vimana or towered sanctuary in the background. The temple consists of many enclosures or prakarams, entered through a pyramidal gopuram, a five tiered gateway covered with stucco figures of the various divinities. The outer pillars of the mandapa in this view are carved in high relief with rearing horses and riders and yalis. There are sculpted figures of monkeys on the overhanging eaves.
The Annual report of the Archaeological Department, Southern Circle, for the year 1911-1912 says, "This temple is situated at a distance of nearly ten miles in the west of Salem Railway Station...There are several well carved stones near the dhvajastambha in front of the temple, which were intended for the construction of a thousand-pillared mantapam and which was never completed...The shrine of Sahasralingam has some well-carved pillars...There are huge pillars in the inner court, bearing sculptures of variuos forms of gods...; of these the sculpture of Rama observing the fight between Vali and Sugriva is worthy of notice".