Mandapas in the Venkataramana Temple, Tadpatri
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of two mandapas in the Venkataramana Temple at Tadpatri, Andhra Pradesh, taken by the Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This complex was built during the Vijayanagara period in the mid-16th century. It is entered through a tall gopura in the middle of the east side of a rectangular colonnade. The main shrine, dedicated to Vishnu, is preceded by a closed mandapa with two porches. The outer walls of the main temple and the enclosed mandapa are decorated with sculptures set between pilasters, representing episodes from the Krishna and Ramayana legends. This is a view of two open mandapas; the double curved eaves on the manadapa in the background have sculptures of musicians and monkeys. In the foreground a European figure stands beside the stone container used to hold a tulsi (sweet basil) bush, sacred to Vishnu.