Mosque and associated buildings, Aurangabad.
Photographer: Nepean, Henry Mack
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a mosque and another unidentified building in Aurangabad in Maharashtra, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Henry Mack Nepean in 1868. Aurangabad is situated on the Khan river in the Dudhana valley between the Lakenvara Hills and the Sathara range. Originally known as Khadke, Aurangabad city was founded in the early 17th century by Malik Amber, minister of the Nizam Shah Kings of Ahmadnagar. However, in 1637 the city was incorporated in the Mughal empire, and in 1653 Prince Aurangzeb became Viceroy of the Deccan. In 1681-2 the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb (r.1658-1707) moved his court to Aurangabad and used it as the base for his military campaigns in the Deccan. After Aurangzib's death in 1707 the city was renamed in his honour.