Nandi Pavilion and entrance gopara, Brihadishvara Temple, Tanjore.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance gopura and Nandi pavilion of the Brihadishvara Temple, Tanjore, from an Album of Miscellaneous views in India,1860s. The Brihadishvara Temple built by the Chola king Rajaraja around 1010, is a monumental temple standing in the middle of a large courtyard surrounded by smaller shrines. The temple is entered through the east by two gateways. To the east of the temple there is a 16th century pavilion with a huge monolithic sculpture of Nandi, the white bull sacred to Shiva to whom the temple is dedicated. The shafts of the columns of the pavilion are carved with figures of devotees. The Nandi pavilion, is in the left foreground.