General view of St James's Church, known as Skinner's Church photographed by Robert and Harriet Tytler in 1858. St James Church was commissioned by Colonel Skinner (1778-1841), a distinguished military officer, famous for the cavalry regiment Skinner’s Horse, known as the Yellow Boys because of the colour of their uniform. While lying wounded on the field of battle he made a vow that if he survived he would build a church in thanks for his life being saved. The church was designed by Major Robert Smith and was built between 1826-36 to a cruciform plan, with three porticoed porches and a central octagonal dome.
During the Uprising of 1857 the Church was damaged by shellfire. The dome of the church is topped by a copper ball and cross, which was used by sepoys in 1857 for target practice.