Nawal Burj, Bhurtpore Fort
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Nawal Burj at Bharatpur Fort in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Nawal Burj or bastion is part of the Lohagarh or Iron Fort, a citadel built by the Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) on the site
of an older fort when he captured Bharatpur from a rival Jat chief in 1733. Situated at the north-west corner of the walled city, it was built with massive double ramparts reinforced by eight bastions, surrounded by a wide, deep moat, and proved to be almost impregnable. This view shows the mud and rubble crenellated walls with the bastion projecting at left, earth ramparts within, and the moat in the foreground.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.