North and cross sections of main dam as seen from Musjid subsidiary dam, looking north-east [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay]. 17324
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
The need for the new docks at Bombay was created in the mid-19th century when the city experienced a growth in economic prosperity due to an increase in trade, particularly in cotton. Construction was initiated by the Elphinstone Land and Press Company launched by Nicol and Co. in 1858 and completed by the Bombay Port Trust in the last decade of the century. All of the building took place on land reclaimed from the sea.