New Palace [Kolhapur].
Medium: Photographic print
Carriages and attendants are pictured outside the New Palace at Kolhapur in Maharashtra from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894'. In the late 19th century a number of buildings were constructed at Kolhapur in the Indo-Saracenic architectural style which was a fusion of Victorian Gothic architecture with Indian elements. It was developed at Kolhapur by the architect Major Charles Mant under the auspices of the Maharaja. Mant designed the New Palace which took seven years to complete (1877-1884). This building was built in grey stone around a central courtyard and exhibits a lofty clock tower. The interior was equally lavish, adorned with trophies of game and tiger heads, it contains several beautiful stained glass windows depicting the life of Shivaji which was the work of an Italian artist.