Northern façade of the Tantipara Mosque, Gaur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph shows an engaged corner tower of the Tantipara mosque in Gaur. Built around 1480, the mosque comprises five bays and two aisles and was originally covered by ten domes. Each of the five arched entrances corresponds to the niches within which mark the direction of Mecca towards which prostration during prayers is directed. The mosque is built of brick whilst its domes were originally supported on pillars of carved black basalt transported from quarries in Bihar. The exterior surfaces of the mosque are decorated in relief terracotta panels of geometric and floral designs.