North gateway of Wazir Khan's Mosque, Lahore.
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
According to its inscriptions, this mosque was founded in 1634 by Hakim Ilm-u'd-din, known as Wazir Khan, governor of Lahore during the reign of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. It is situated in the eastern quarter of the old walled city. This view shows the northern gateway of the mosque with the courtyard and sanctuary beyond. The distinctive octagonal minaret is one of four surrounding the open courtyard. The balcony at the top of the minaret provides a platform from which the call to prayer can be given. The mosque is an interesting fusion of architectural styles with the squat domes with lotus finials and domed kiosks of local South Asian tradition combined with colourful tilework and low arcades of Persian style.