Nagarkhana or Palace gateway, Kolhapur
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Nagarkhana or palace gateway, Kolhapur taken by Henry Cousens in 1890. The Nagarkhana, (now known as Naggar Khana) means 'music gallery'. Shortly after this photograph was taken, it was described in the Bombay list, p. 284: ''...the main entrance to the old palace, and stands about 40 yards north from it. It is built of black stone, and was erected between 1832 and 1837. It is in modern Musalman style, with pieces of old carving from Jain bastis [temples] inserted here and there.." Beyond the entrance lies what is known as the palace square. On one side of the square lies the old palace, which was badly damaged due to a fire in 1810. On the other sides of the square are the armoury and the Amba Bai temple. The latter probably dates to the tenth century, when Kolhapur was ruled by the Yadavas.