Nynee Tal looking west.
Photographer: Saché, John Edward
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph, from the ‘Album of Indian Views’, of Nainital taken by John Edward Saché in the 1860s shows the sacred lake which forms the focal point of the hill station. The town was founded in 1841 and became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium. The area is vulnerable to landslides with a serious one occurring in September 1880.