No. 101. Rangoon. A Street; old Style.
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph by Linnaeus Tripe, from a portfolio of 120 prints, of a view looking along a side street lined with single-storied houses roofed with mats, at Rangoon (Yangon) in Burma (Myanmar). The narrow central road recedes towards the Shwe Dagon Pagoda, just visible on the skyline. The roadway (little more than a walkway) is unsurfaced and overgrown, with a central path of rough planks. The photographer wrote,'This may give an idea of the amount of labour and material required to make Rangoon streets and roads what they are'. In 1855 a British mission was sent to King Mindon Min of Burma to negotiate a settlement regarding Pegu, annexed by the British following the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852. Linnaeus Tripe was the official photographer on this mission, his pioneering architectural and topographical views of the country are an important photographic record. Rangoon was built on the site of the ancient Mon city of Dagon. Its name refers to 'the end of strife', given it by the founder of the Burman Konbaung dynasty, Alaungpaya (ruled 1752-60), after his defeat of the Mon kingdom of Pegu. A major port of Burma, located on the Yangon river near the Gulf of Martaban, Rangoon was made the capital after the British took over the whole of the country in 1885.