Photograph by Linnaeus Tripe, from a portfolio of 120 prints, with a general view of one of the ancillary pagodas of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda at Rangoon (Yangon) in Burma (Myanmar). In 1855 a British mission was sent to King Mindon Min of Burma to negotiate a settlement regarding Pegu, annexed by the British after the Second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852. Linnaeus Tripe was the official photographer on this mission and his architectural and topographical views of the country form an important record. Tripe wrote, 'On the platform of the Shwe Dagon. There were numbers around the great Pagoda similar to this, which have been destroyed'. The Shwe Dagon stupa on Singuttara Hill is Burma's most significant Buddhist monument, of great national importance. Traditional history states that it was founded in the 6th century to enshrine eight hairs from the Buddha's head. Its documented history begins from the 14th century from which time a succession of rulers rebuilt it or made improvements to it. The bell-shaped main stupa or zedi rises to a height of just under 100 ms, and is surrounded by a multitude of smaller shrines such as planetary shrines arranged around it in no particular order or grouping on its terraced platform.